Specialty Dwelling Insurance

Looking for Rental or Vacant Property Insurance in Michigan?

If you own a rental property in Michigan or a home that happens to be vacant, a traditional homeowners insurance policy will not work. You will need what’s called a “Specialty Dwelling” insurance policy. This is because traditional homeowners insurance excludes coverage for properties that are not owner-occupied. In other words, if you don’t live in the house, it’s only covered by a Specialty Dwelling policy.

Mason-McBride represents several carriers who can insure your rental property or specialty use property.

Specialty Dwelling Insurance

There are multiple scenarios where Specialty Dwelling insurance is necessary:

Rental Properties — Specialty Dwelling insurance is the only type of policy that will work for a rental property. There are certain coverages that you need as the owner of a non-owner occupied property that are only provided by a Specialty Dwelling insurance policy; for example, Landlord Furnishings and Tenant Liability.

Vacant Homes — Vacant homes can present all kinds of problems, which is why they can be extremely difficult to insure. Most insurance companies want nothing to do with a property that is vacant- but we can help you with that.

Seasonal & Vacation Homes — In many cases, in order to insure a secondary, seasonal, or vacation property, most companies require that you insure your primary residence with them as well, which isn’t always possible.

Older & Lower Value Homes — If your home is extremely old and/or the market value is considerably lower than the cost to rebuild it, many insurance companies may hesitate to cover it. Older or lower-valued properties present a number of problems, but we have access to specialty policies specifically for these types of homes.

Credit Problems — Some homeowners might not have strong enough credit to qualify for a “standard” homeowners policy. When this is the case, Specialty Dwelling insurance is the alternative.

Homes Under Construction — In some situations your renovation, addition, or reconstruction project may require a Specialty Dwelling policy.

How to get started on your proposal

If you live in Michigan and have a property that fits these parameters, give us a call or fill out the proposal form below and we can provide you with a policy for your property to see who has the best product for you.